Wednesday 22 January 2014

Beyond the Surface: Martyna Drozdowska

Hey guys,


So I've just settled back into college and it's been crazy! Between catching up with friends and receiving my semester 1 results, I've had a lot on my plate.  Lie. I sat on my laptop and watched Private Practice day to night errr'day for 5 days straight- it's safe to say I am addicted even though I don't even like medical stuff. The storyline for each episode is always irresistible and let me tell you cliff hangers are the devil. 

Unfortunately this semester is going to be tough as I have modules that you can't doss in, thus actually having to do work (accounting, economics, web design blah blah blah) so I will no longer be blogging daily! This is your cue for booing me. *sad face*
I'll be blogging Mondays, wednesdays and saturdays and every other day of the week where procrastination of doing college work settles in.


Okay so how are we?! How are you settling back into college/school/work life after christmas?! I want to know so do sound off in the comments. I know I'm drained from just 3 days of college but I have the most interesting blog post for you. Grab your cup of tea or coffee and a blanket- get comfortable because I'm going to need all of your attention

Meet Martyna Drozdowska





Poland's up and coming fashion designer. As you will notice below, her collection titled "Project Mess" is bursting with creativity. Martyna incorporates edgy, quirky and stylish into one cohesive collection! I was simply shocked when I found out she had made each piece of garment herself but what I love most is that her line is a breath of fresh air for the teens of today. It's not Hollister & it's certainly not Gossip Girl; it is unique, fun and urban. It appeals to the modern generation and what's interesting about this collection is that it is simple and it isn't simple at the same time and that's what fashion is all about- thinking outside the box.




"Big dreams, good music & expensive taste."




  • What's the name of your line and how did you come up with it?


I heard the song and saw the video for fashion Killa where RiRi showed up in a stunning Zebra dress. The next day when I was out getting materials I saw the same type of Zebra material it couldn't have been a coincidence and that's how Animal Mess came into being.



  • Are you studying fashion in college?

No I don't study fashion, I finished a completely different major; Russian philology.

  • Since when did you know you wanted to be a fashion designer?

It's been a dream of mine ever since I can remember but the first dress was created about 2 months ago.


  • What is the general style like in your city?


For a year now I've been living in Gdansk (Poland) I see people on the streets of our town and most of them dress in a mundane manner, without creativity; black and grey are dominant. There are exceptions of course and these are exactly the people who inspired me to add some "madness" to our streets.


  • What fashion capital would you like to live in most?

London or New York are mixtures of styles and trends; through fashion people express their religions, hobbies, music tastes or even careers. You can't talk about one trending style. The place is full of a complete fashion freedom.



  • Where do you want to be in 10 years?

I don't think that far into the future. The present is most important to me. Here and Now.



  • How do you advertise your line?

Mainly Facebook, soon enough I should have a website. I'm also in the process of negotiating a deal to showcase my clothes in a shop for young fashion designers .And of course fashion markets for street styles.

  • Tell us about the photoshoots you do for your line.

For now there's only been one photo shoot. It was a typical product photo shoot, some pictures are already up on the official page and the rest will be up any time from now. The model was Osi Ugonoh who perfectly reflected the character of the whole line.



  • Top 3 designers you admire most and why?

I have many. The first is Vivienne Westwood who's one of the most colorful fashion designers. She brought in the style of ripped shirts and stained jeans; it's also thanks to her that on t-shirts there are funny or provocative statements and of course I loved the flannel shirt that is no longer a working class symbol but the garment of every stylish fashionista.
The second is Jean Charles Castlebajac. I love him for his intensive colours, prints(brilliant cartoon characters like micky mouse or bambi) and attached accessories added to the jacket of the mascot, the frog Kermit .



  • Celebrity style crushes?

Cassie, Beyoncé and Riri - fashion killa heheh!



  • How would you describe your personal style?

My style is Project MESS.
I like to be different. My clothes are often brave, for Polish standards mainly. Like most people I wear things from the internet but I've always had a problem with finding my dream clothes (mainly dresses). That's where the idea for Project Mess came from.


  • Advice for aspiring fashion designers like yourself?

I myself am a starting designer haha one thing I can say is to follow your heart and not worry about the failures. Starting anything is always a challenge .


Share

2 comments: